Fire Chief's Welcome Message
Welcome to the Highwood Fire Department! Our department is proud of its long heritage and includes a long line of distinguished Firefighters going back to the days before Fort Sheridan existed.
Located at our station at 428 Green Bay Road, the Highwood Fire Department provides fire responses, paramedic service, fire prevention education, and inspectional service to the City of Highwood and its residents. For general information our number is (847) 432-7622.
In an emergency, call us at 9-1-1
Your call to 9-1-1 will be answered by the Lake Forest Communications Center. If you have a fire or medical emergency, let the dispatcher know as quickly as possible. You will then be transferred to the Regional Emergency Dispatch Center – R.E.D. Center. R.E.D. Center will dispatch the fire department while you are still on the phone with them. 9-1-1 is the fastest way to get help. The entire process takes only a few seconds.
Help Us Find You!
Highwood City Ordinance requires street numbers to be a minimum of 4 inches high, 1 inch wide, and easily visible from the street. Easily visible means of a color starkly contrasting with the background house color and unobstructed by shrubbery, vehicles, etc. Your house number is important to your safety. Check to be sure yours can be easily seen from the street.
Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS):
The Highwood Fire Department is a member of MABAS Division 3. Organized and growing since 1968, MABAS is a formal consortium of fire departments that have agreed to provide assistance to each other in the event of a major fire or disaster. This assistance is provided at no cost to the stricken department. We respond to our neighbors as requested and have used their assistance many times in the past. Don’t be surprised to see a Highwood Fire Department vehicle at a fire in Highland Park, Lake Forest, Deerfield, Northbrook, or any of our neighbors.
Typically, Highland Park and Lake Forest send equipment to Highwood on a first alarm.
MABAS was responsible for the September, 2005 response to the Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina. Over 900 Firefighters and 60 engines and trucks, with dozens of support vehicles, traveled from Illinois to New Orleans and its surrounding parishes. Working in 2-week segments, three separate contingents provided fire suppression, rescue, and other public safety support for 6 weeks. The entire effort was coordinated through MABAS departments from all over Illinois.
The Highwood Fire Department had two representatives in Louisiana; Battalion Chief Dave Mohry and Chief Tom Lovejoy.
Smoke detectors are required on all levels of every residence by Illinois law. In addition, the law requires a detector within 15 feet of any sleeping area. Smoke detectors have repeatedly demonstrated their effectiveness in saving lives. Make sure your alarm is near enough to where you sleep to wake you in case of fire. You only have 2-5 minutes to escape after a fire starts. Smoke detectors give you an early warning system.
Sadly, it is estimated that more than half of the smoke detectors in the nation have dead or no batteries. Replace your detector’s battery twice a year. Remember “Change your Clock – Change Your Battery”. This slogan reminds you to replace your smoke detector batteries when you change to or from Daylight Savings Time – twice a year!
If your home is equipped with a full fire alarm system, be sure to have it checked by a qualified alarm technician at least yearly.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors:
State law also, as of January 1, 2007, requires carbon monoxide detectors in every home that uses fossil fuels (natural gas, propane, coal, etc.) or that houses a vehicle in an attached garage. The rules are the same as for smoke detectors; within 15 feet of sleeping areas.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can prevent oxygen from entering your bloodstream. It is a natural by-product of combustion. At high concentrations, it can be lethal in seconds, but even in low doses it causes illness, dizziness, and long-term neurological effects.
Watch What You Heat:
Kitchen fires are a leading cause of structure fires, injury, and death. An unattended pan of oil, for example, can burst into flames without warning and quickly spread to cabinets and other nearby combustibles. To prevent kitchen fires, observe the following safety tips:
1. Never leave anything cooking on a stovetop unattended, even for a few moments.
2. Keep flammable materials away from cooking surfaces.
3. Control the heat source. Don’t use high flame or heat settings unless absolutely necessary.
4. For your personal protection, do not wear loose-fitting garments while cooking. They can catch fire if you drag your sleeve over a burner.
Candle With Care:
Another frequent cause of home fire is candles. Even when contained in glass holders, candles flames can spread to nearby textiles or other decorative combustibles. They have also been known to cause the holders to break due to heat. Always keep combustible products, including your clothing well away from candle flame. Again, never leave a candle unattended. Be sure they are completely extinguished before you leave the room.
We welcome your comments and questions. For additional safety information or general questions about the Highwood Fire Department, call us at (847) 432-7622.